Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Google Now Reminders Are Dangerous

I read somewhere that future Google launcher will look more like Google Now. Although I tried it earlier and I was not very impressed, I decided to give it a second chance. I really start to like voice commands; "wake me up in 20 minutes" and "remind me to..." become my favorites. Couple of days ago I got mail from the bank that I should come and sign some papers. I grabbed my phone, I said "OK,  Google" and created reminder in no time. Easy peasy.

Yesterday I found forgotten letter from a bank. But how that could happen? I set my reminder,  didn't I? Well,  I did,  but as I missed it, Google Now just quietly moved it to the "Past" list. It didn't put it on top of the list in red,  it didn't nag me, it didn't rescheduled it for the same time next day. Missed it? Bad luck.

It is the perfect tool if you want to make your stressful life easier; use it to remind yourself to schedule dentist appointment or pay the bills or buy the groceries, and if you forget, you wouldn't care because reminder is gone. Want to reschedule it? Past reminders can be only deleted. It's gone, get it?

Google simply cannot decide would they do your task management or not.  First there were Tasks, which were canceled; then we got oversimplified Keep, and then dumb Reminders. And don't even let me start about Reader, Currents and Play Newsstand. Outcome? I'm back to Tick Tick and still using Flyne.

Expect next post about Google Now in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment